In the 1820s, Presbyterian immigrants from the Isle of Skye, Scotland, settled on land obtained from friendly Euchee Indians in Walton County, Florida. In June 1827, they formed the Euchee Valley Presbyterian Church.
In the spring of 1858, the Euchee Valley Church dismissed some of its members to form the Geneva Presbyterian Church in Geneva, Alabama. This was in response to a letter from a new Geneva resident, begging for help in “this heathen hell hole, which has no church.”
In 1935, the First Presbyterian Church of Enterprise, Alabama, was formed as a mission of the Geneva Presbyterian Church. In the mid-1980s, this church left the Presbyterian Church (PCUSA) and affiliated with the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA).
On May 1, 1960, Green Hill Presbyterian Chapel (later Church) was formed around a nucleus of members who had left First Presbyterian Church in Enterprise because of that church’s treatment of military members. The new church met in Scott’s Machine Shop on Damascus Road until its building on East Lee Street was ready in 1967.
Written by: Kenneth Harrision
Photography by: Scott Smith